I do not know about you but when it is hot outside I am a little cranky and the last thing I want to do is stand in front of a hot stove. My normal hot day meal is a salad but it is August and I am over eating a salad every day. I mean OVER IT.
This AM I was digging in my freezer for inspiration and I found some stone baked gluten-free pita bread from BFree. I LOVE their bread and other baked items. If you have not ever heard of this company you must check them out. You can click here to see if there is a store that carries their products near you. They are free from most allergens and they do not taste like cardboard. SCORE!
Of course, you can stuff your pita bread with whatever makes you happy but my Summer favorite is avocado, sprouts, grilled portobello mushroom, and lettuce. AND of course, do not forget to add a slathering of your favorite dijon mustard 🙂
Avocado, Mushroom, Sprouts Pita Sandwich
- 1 gluten free pita bread
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 small handful of sprouts make sure you wash those sprouts
- 1/2 portobello mushroom cap grilled
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard optional
- 1 large leaf of butter lettuce
- My go to move with any gluten free bread is to lightly coat it with ghee and then toast it for a minute or two. Once your pita bread is toasted gently open it up and set it aside.
- Heat up a pan and grill your portobella mushroom for about 4 minutes on each side. Sprinkle a little salt on the mushroom. This wll help your mushroom rid itself of some of the water it is holding inside. Once it is cooked move it to the side and get started on your avocado.
- Slice your 1/2 of avocado into 3 pieces and gently place into your pita bread.
- Next take your washed sprouts and stuff them carefully in the pita bread. Be careful not to smash your pretty avocado.
- Lastly take some green butter lettuce ( or whatever you have on hand ) and spread some of your favorite spread on the lettuce. I love to use dijon mustanrd. Next wrap the lettuce around the mushroom and place it in the pita bread.
- Now it is time to sit down with your favorite beverage and. book and enjoy your hard work in the kitchen.