Today I got a hankering to try a different recipe for lunch. I am planning a big dinner tonight so I wanted something light – yet filling. The other day, I was at our local market and stumbled across some organic butter lettuce. I was very intrigued for two reasons. 1)It was organic and I love any organic lettuce and 2)It had the roots still attached so I knew it was fresher than most lettuce you buy at the market. Now after putting this beauty in my cart I had to get my creative juices flowing to figure out what to do with it. SPICY CHICKEN BUTTER LETTUCE WRAPS duh Judy!!
This was going to satisfy my need for a light lunch as well as a tasty solution to my craving for something different. I think it was very tasty as did Mike (Well god love that man. He never says anything I make tastes bad. He is a saint).
I love Aidells chicken meatballs. I do not eat a lot of meat, nor do I like too many things that are already packaged, but when it comes to these little meatballs I am a huge fan. They are gluten free and have very few additional ingredients. They passed the test of “eating clean” in my book. My two favorite flavors are caramelized onion and spicy mango with jalapeno. Today I picked the spicy mango.
- First take 8 spicy mango with jalapeno meatballs and microwave them for about 3 minutes.
- Next place them in a food processor and give it a few pulses to break them down into a crumble. Then place your crumble in a bowl and move it to the side so you can continue prepping.
- Now you get to have some fun chopping up some jicama (you can buy it already shredded from any local salad bar if you are in a hurry. I am all about the quick time savers. Jicama adds a great crunch to these little bundles of delight and they are packed with nutrition.
- Next mix some shredded red cabbage in with the jicama. Red cabbage is also another nutrition powerhouse.
- You are not done chopping yet. Now chop up some fresh pineapple into tiny tiny pieces and mix it with the jicama/cabbage and place it to the side.
- Lastly take out your organic butter lettuce and gently peel back 8 leaves and give them a quick rinse.
- Now for the fun part. These wraps are so easy to assemble. Just take your leaf and place it in your palm of your hand. Add a scoop of the cabbage/jicama/pineapple mix and follow it with a scoop of your meatball crumble and VOILA you have a fantastic tasty low calorie high protein meal. The pineapple and the spicy chicken are a perfect combination. If meat is not your thing you can fill these wonderful leaves with mixed vegetables, hummus, tofu or whatever your heart desires. I can’t wait to make these again when the girls are home for the holidays.