These fritters rocked. I have been on a lucky roll lately in the kitchen. Trust me I have had my share of failures this Summer as well but lately, the flavors are popping. I think a lot of it is my new Ninja Air Fryer. It has really brought some excitement to my kitchen.
These fritters are very basic, the magic happens when you add the mixins and toppings. Get creative. You really can’t screw them up. Mixins and topping ideas are at the bottom of the post.
You will need:
- One large spaghetti squash
- One egg
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Salt and pepper
- Mixins and toppings (see below for ideas )
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Arrange squash halves, cut-sides down, on a large rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake until very tender when pierced with a fork. If you have another favorite way to cook your squash then go for it. I just like to do it in the oven because it seems to be less watery. I cook mine for about 40 minutes. Remove from oven; let cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Using a fork, scrape out the squash flesh (spaghetti-like strands) and put into a clean towel, go to your sink and ring the hell out of your squash. You won’t get a lot of water but you will get some and it will help your fritters be more crunchy.
3. Mix your squash, egg, baking powder and salt and pepper together. You can do this by hand or in a food mixer. Next, add in your favorite mixins. ( see below for ideas)
4. Scoop about 3 tablespoonfuls of the squash mixture into a mound on the prepared baking sheet; flatten into a 3-inch round using a spatula. Repeat the process with the remaining squash mixture, making 8 fritters total spaced 2 inches apart.
5. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes total. I like to flip them about 10 minutes in. You might want to bake them longer if you want them more crispy.
Once they are done top them with your favorite topping. These really are fantastic cold as well.
Another way to prepare these fritters is in your air fryer. My Ninja Foodi nailed the perfect crispiness. The preparation of the fritters is exactly the same it is just the cooking method that is different. Honestly, both work great. I just like the way they get crispier in the Ninja.
- Put your Ninja Foodi on the cook/bake setting and place the fritters into the air fry basket. I was able to put 6 fritters in at a time. Cook them for about 4 minutes on each side.
- Next change your Nina Foodi setting to air fry and air fry them for about 3 minutes on each side. Carefully take them out and top them with your favorite toppings.
Remember you can get as creative as you want with these things. They really are an amazing way to get some extra veggies in and they taste kick ass. They also are also awesome cold the next day. Happy cooking.
- Chopped veggies and goat cheese
- Shredded chicken or beef and cheddar cheese
- Pancetta and ricotta cheese
- Chopped peppers, mushrooms & gouda
- Red peppers and feta cheese
- Bacon, chives and swiss cheese
- Sour Cream
- Fresh Herb Butter
- Cream Cheese
- Shredded Cheese