This salad is not only easy but it is jammed with flavor. I like to make a double batch and have it a few days in a row. Do not add the lettuce till you are ready to serve it though.
If you are looking for a cost effective, flavorful side dish then get in the kitchen now. This is a winner.
Refreshing Healthy Cucumber Salad with Brown Rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 large english cucumbers these are the ones without the seeds
- 1.5 cups any combination of FRESH herbs Fresh is critical to te taste
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 dash pink sea salt
- 1 dash white pepper black will work as well
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to boil. Mix in rice and salt and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is tender and water is absorbed about 50 minutes. Feel free to use microwave rice or cook your rice in the instant pot. Cook according to the directions of your appliance/package. Once it is cooked set aside to cool.
- In a blender mix the vinegar and sugar together for about 30 seconds. Gradually add in the oil. Set aside.
- Place rice into a serving bowl.
- In a mixing bowl add in your chopped cucumbers, onions and herbs, toss and season to your liking.
- Place your cucumber mixture on top of your rice in your bowl. This salad looks good in individual serving side bowls but also works great on one big platter for the center of the table. If you are not going to eat it all immediately I would toss in the herbs right before you serve it.