Every holiday I try and make a new stuffing. This year I am going to try this one. I love the idea of cilantro and cranberries together. Quinoa is one of those grains that I am willing to eat because of its nutritional make up. The quinoa grain has been called a superfood because it is packed with so many nutrients. The protein content is very high for a cereal/pseudo-cereal (14% by mass), but not as high as most beans and legumes. The protein content per 100 calories is higher than brown rice, potatoes, barley and millet, but is less than wild rice and oats.
Being that our house has had to eat gluten free for over 6 years now you can imagine how much quinoa we have consumed. I have made hot cereals, cold cereals, stuffed peppers, crab cakes, cookies, cakes with it over the years. Again now that we minimize our grains we do not eat it as much but don’t get me wrong it is still a food we enjoy in this house.
This simple stuffing is loaded with delicious vegetables and herbs and takes just 10 minutes to prep.
Total Time: 42 min.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 27 min.
Yield: 16 servings, ⅔ cup each
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
8 medium celery stalks, chopped (about 4 cups)
2 medium green apples, with peel (about 2 cups)
4 cups low-sodium organic vegetable broth
2 cups dry quinoa, rinsed
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. ground black pepper
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
½ cup pine nuts
1.Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
3. Add celery and apple; cook, stirring frequently, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until tender.
4. Add broth, quinoa, salt, cumin, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, for 15 minutes, or until most of liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.
5. Add cranberries. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
6. Add cilantro and pine nuts; fluff with fork and serve.
If you are following the 21 Day Fix Eating plan you will want to count this as 1 yellow 1/2 blue and 1/2 orange