I know really Judy—–another kitchen gadget??????? I know I have serious issues but I promise I really do honestly use all of them. So the other day I was strolling down the rows of Costco, trying to ditch all the crazy people looking to eat lunch with all of the free snacks offered ( don’t get me going on how much this makes me crazy) when I saw a new gadget being highlighted. The first thing I do when I see a new gadget that intrigues me is pull out my phone at check out the reviews on Amazon. I know that reviews can sometimes be misleading but they usually give me a good idea if I want to run or look into it further. This one was rated almost 5 stars so I pulled the cart over and began reading the box.
Here is what the outside of the box said:
With the Philips Digital Airfryer, you can eat healthier without giving up the taste and texture of your favorite foods. The Airfryer features unique Rapid Air Technology that circulates hot air with speed and precision for faster cooking and perfect results with less oil. Using the digital touch screen interface you can adjust the temperature up to 390 degrees and set the timer up to 60 minutes. The included double layer rack maximizes the Airfryer’s cooking surface letting you fry, bake, roast, and grill more of your favorite food. The Airfryer’s parts are dishwasher-safe for easy cleaning, and the included recipe booklet features more than 25 recipes created exclusively for the Philips Airfryer.
Well that was enough for me honestly, plus you can always return it to Costco if it doesn’t perform the way it suppose too right?
The machine retails for $299 but Costco had it for $279 and it came with an extra grill pan.
This seems expensive and I guess it really is but it is a a large appliance and has a lot of cooking capabilities. (LOL can you hear me justifying this in my head?) The appliance does have a large footprint- 5.9 x 9 x 13.3 inches. In my opinion this is large and it does take up some space on my counter. It was pretty easy to set up, you just take it out of the box, wash the parts and plug her in.
Here are my Pro’s and Con’s and thoughts on this product.
- It cooks fast- I cooked the cod pictured below in 10 minutes. ( with 2 additional minutes for the preheat cycle)
- It uses little or no oil. ( I am a fan of oil don’t get me wrong but I like to get my daily dose on my salads or drizzled on vegetable vs frying and heating it up.
- The crab cakes I made were the first ones I have ever made that actually stayed together perfectly.
- The clean up is fairly easy. The basket and grill can go in the dishwasher but we washed it by hand.
- It does not stink the house up like other food does when you fry it on the stove.
- The basket and grill pan are fairly small. It is perfect for one or two people but if you are cooking for a family of 3 or 4 you will have to do it in 2 stages.
- It has a large footprint.
- The fan inside is a tad noisy.
- Because this technology is not used a lot it is hard to know exactly how long to cook the food. There is a list of suggested bake times but not all the foods I want to make are on there.
My thoughts on this product are it is a good product but does come with a high price point. If you fry a lot and love that crunchy flavor then I think it is a great buy. I am glad I bought it but I am still in the test stages. I want to see how it does with chicken and some vegetarian spring rolls. You can get this product at Costco or on Amazon.
Here are some of the things I have made so far.