Mike and I recently moved and one the best things about our move was that we now have the space for a separate home gym. We are both workout program junkies and it is great to have the space to keep our library growing. Today I thought I would review for you one of my new favorite DVD programs.
The program is called Les Mills -Combat.I love this program for so many reasons. I have to be honest, at first I did not think I was going to like it but I quickly changed my mind as I punched and kicked away.
As with most of the Beachbody workouts they have modifiers, one for the advanced person and one for someone just starting out or who wants or needs to go easy on the jumping. This program is perfect for all fitness levels. The Combat program is designed to work out 6 days a week. The beginning level does start out with 5 workout days and 2 rest days. This was perfect for me as I was just getting started with marital arts and my body needed the rest.
Some of the things I love about this program are:
- There really is no additional equipment needed for the program. There are two workouts that require small weights but you can modify the workout if you do not own any.
- It is really fun and catchy with super cool music.
- You can easily put in a little more kick or jump to increase your workout.
- It is easy to follow the steps. They explain things and show you what to do.
- One of the best nutrition guides I have seen
- It is a 60 day program not your normal 90 days like most. This is good for me as I get bored easily.
- They are full body workouts each time.
- The crew is hysterical and took my mind off the work at hand.
- They have some live workouts that bring a different spin on your workout.
- I had guns for the first time ever 🙂
Another thing to mention is this is a great program for someone who wants to do a hybrid program. Because you are not lifting heavy weights you, could trade off with another weight lifting program and see great results with muscle confusion.
I had never really done a workout before that involved martial arts. Mike would always comment it sounded like I was hurting someone while in the garage/gym. It is funny, but they really do inspire you to push yourself. I have to admit I felt like a little bit of a bad ass while using this program. Beachbody even sells workout gloves you use to really feel like a fighter. I opted out for them the first go round but next time they just might find away on to my hands so I can really give that karate chop a what for. Dan and Rach, the instructors of this program, have an authentic background in martial arts. They take the time to walk you through some of the culture of the art which I found to be pretty cool.
If I had to find a con with the program I would probably say that there are not enough DVD’s in the set. The way I look at it is, you get what you pay for. This is a fairly low cost work out at home program so it is not going to have as much to it. I did find myself getting a little bored towards the end of the 60 days but was able to keep it fresh by adding other programs to shake things up in a good way for me. The way I look at it
Overall I say The Les Mills Combat Program is a hit in my book. It is inexpensive, fun and effective. 🙂