Today’s post goes out to all my friends who are struggling with Insomnia. Man is that word a three headed beast or what?
Our days are filled with hectic, chaotic and busy, busy tasks so the last thing we need is to be staring at that flipping alarm clock all night. I have been there and I am sure most of you have at one point or another as well. Well if it makes you feel any better you are not alone. According to the CDC (Center for Disease Control) “Insomnia is a public health epidemic”. I ran into a pretty bad case of this a year ago and being the stubborn ox I am, I researched the heck out of it. Today I wanted to share with you some of the things that worked for me. I am sure some of these ideas are a “duh” for some of you but they weren’t for me. I can say that I’ve tried all of these techniques and they are working for me so I wanted to share.
Things that can beat Insomnia NATURALLY:
1) Hands down the biggest two things that have made a difference in my sleeping patterns are diet and exercise. Eating clean and moving at least 30 minutes a day will make a huge impact over time. Digesting food takes work and if you eat processed foods your body never gets to go into relax mode. It is always trying to catch up and clean up. Keep in mind there is some research out there in regards to when is a good time to exercise to gain the biggest bang in regards to sleep. Mid afternoon is best and evening is the worst. I rarely workout in the afternoon, I am an early AM workout gal and it works great for me.
2) I found a natural supplement called Neurexan. This product, when taken 30 minutes before bedtime, just takes the edge off and it works on quieting the mind. (yep we all need some of that right?) You can take up to 3 over a period of time throughout the night. I love it and use it often.The ingredients are all natural and I feel comfortable and safe taking this product.
3) Body scan meditation rocks! It truly relaxes me in a very short time. I now can do it manually without the audio and actually have even used it when I am at work and need to calm down quick 🙂 If you google it you will see all sorts of options. Some are Youtube, some are just audio, I would also search for an app on your phone so it is easy to bring with you wherever you go. This is one of my favorites.
4) Making sure your body has enough of the needed trace minerals is key to a good siesta. Mike and I started using these minerals a few years ago and our bodies in general felt better, but one of the biggest changes we saw was in our sleep. We have used many different brands over the years but our favorite was by Trace Minerals Research. We actually do not use them anymore because we moved to Carlsbad and have access to some of the best water in the world here through Carlsbad Alkaline Water and get our minerals this way now. Stay tuned for a post on this amazing place soon.
5) Keep a fan going in your room (no clue why but it works)
6) No coffee after 3pm. For those of you that know me, know that this is HUGE. I never thought my body really reacted to caffeine but I think I have been wrong. Instead I drink herbal tea or my new favorite from Teecccino. I love this company. I am a huge fan of the dandelion caramel nut. If you are gluten free be careful though as a lot of their brands have gluten in them.
Insomnia, three headed beast, clock staring or whatever you want to call it is horrible and can be debilitating for many. I still have occasional nights that I cannot turn my mind off but it is WAY better then it was a few years ago. Please do not sit back and let insomnia win. Try some of these ideas or google it and find some that might work for you. Our bodies and minds need and deserve sleep. If you have any natural remedies you have used please feel free to share as I am always open to new ways to make sure I can continue to cut my ZZZZzzzzzzzz’s