Do you remember these songs?
“Ice cream soda, lemonade, punch; Spell the initials of your honey bunch. A-B-C-D…..”
“I went downtown
To see Ms. Brown,
She gave me a nickel
To buy a pickle,
The pickle was sour,
So I bought a flower.
The flower was dead, she gave me a tack.
The tack was sharp, she gave me a harp.
The harp was broke, she gave me a cloak.
The cloak was tight, she gave me a kite.
The kite away flew, and I did too.
Or my favorite
Miss Mary Mack, Mack, Mack
All dressed in black, black, black
With silver buttons, buttons, buttons
All down her back, back, back.
She asked her mother, mother, mother,
For fifteen cents, cents, cents,
To see the elephant, elephant, elephant,
Jump the fence, fence, fence.
He jumped so high, high, high.
He reached the sky, sky, sky,
And he never came back, back, back
Till the Fourth of July, lie, lie.
Oh doesn’t it just take you back to elementary school when you just waited and waited for the bell to ring for recess? I can still remember the excitement. I was a big jump roper. I remember kids lining up to take turns “jumping in” Little did I know that fun recess activity was a powerhouse when it comes to exercise.
Jumping rope is one of the easiest and most cost effective forms of exercise you can do today. Here are just SOME of the benefits of jumping rope:
- You can burn about 300 calories in 30 minutes
- It is a great exercise for the Lymphatic System (The lymphatic system doesn’t have a pump. It relies on the expansion and contraction of your muscles to move it around your body. The lymph systems helps remove toxins from your body 🙂
- It is a full body workout. Jumping rope works your legs, it works your abs, it works your arms, it works your heart, it works your mind. It increases strength, agility, speed, timing and rhythm. Its medium impact increases bone density, but isn’t as hard on your joints as running. It’s both a fantastic cardio and strength training workout all in one. 🙂
- It is easy to do anywhere!!!! We do our jumping in our home gym. For some reason the jumping sound drives Roscoe crazy. So of course Mike loves to do this 🙁
- Anyone can afford one. You can get one at Walmart for $10. You just need to get one that is large enough for you.
- You can really get creative and come up with fun routines. I crank my 80’s music and jump, jump, jump.
Check out these fun YouTube videos on jumping rope.
LOL this is crazy stuff!