Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Low-Carb Bagel
- Bagel Pan or cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
- 1 cup almond flour, not almond meal
- 2 tbsp psyllium husk powder
- 1/2 cup unflavored plant-based protein powder I used Four Sigmatic- Coupon and link below
- 1/2 cup hot water, not boiling
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- salt to taste
- Preheat over to 350F
- If you are using a donut/bagel pan, lightly spray it and set it aside. If you are using a cookie sheet line it with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Mix all the dry ingredients. Place a saucepan on your stove and add the 1/2 cup of water. You want the water to get hot enough to activate the xanthan gum but not reach boiling. Once the water is warm enough slowly pour it into your food mixer while it is running. The dough will be thick. You can use a hand mixer or even mix this batter in a bowl and use a spoon.
- If you want to add in any flavorings you can do it now. I like to portion the dough out and mix different things in each batch.
- You can put the dough in a ziplock back and cut a hole in one of the corners and pip the dough into your donut/bagel pan or manually roll the dough between your hands and put it around the whole in your pan. I like this method the best. If you are not using the donut/bagel pan just make a circle with your parchment paper. NOTE: you might need to wet your hands so the dough does not stick to your fingers.
- Now you can add any toppings you want to your bagels. I usually use sesame seeds, taco seasoning or cinnamon sugar depending on the flavors I want to create. If you want to get that shiny look on your bagel, brush each bagel with an egg wash.
- Place your pan in your preheated oven. Depending on your oven settings these usually need about 16 minutes to cook. Let cool completely before you eat them. I like to toast split them and toast them again once I am ready to eat them. Remember these are low-carb so they are not going to taste like the high-calorie, high-carb ones you can buy at the store. Adjust your tastebuds and you will have so much fun with these little guys.
I am a huge lover of everything from Four Sigmatic. I love love love baking with their unflavored plant-based protein powder. If you are interested in trying this powder out use this link and allinthebalance at checkout for one of the best deals ever. I truly think they are one of the cleanest, best texture powders on the market. This is the same plant-based protein powder I use each AM in my smoothies 🙂
Get crazy with your toppings and mix in. Some of my favorites are:
- Cinnamon raisin- Add as many raisins as you want plus one tablespoon of cinnamon. I like to top them off with a little coconut sugar.
- Everything- Mix in or top your bagels with everything bagel seasoning.
- Cheezy- Add in 1/2 cup of Violife Parm Cheese
- Mexican- Add 2 tablespoons of taco season. Top with avocado when you are ready to serve them.