I never use to like gingerbread but recently I have been giving it another chance. I am not sure what it is about the taste that always turned me off. I have to admit this recipe I received from our Beachbody Blog tempted me. I am glad I tried it, I really, really liked it. I do not eat a lot of grains so it is not something I would eat all the time but it tasted fantastic on top of my vanilla yogurt the other day. Check it out and see what you think.
Total Time: 1 hr. 10 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 55 min.
Yield: 30 servings, 2 Tbsp. each
2½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
½ cup slivered almonds or walnuts
1½ tsp. ground cinnamon
1¼ tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. ground cloves
¼ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
¼ cup molasses or honey
3 Tbsp. virgin coconut oil
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
1. Preheat oven to 300° F.
2. Line baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
3. Combine oats, almonds, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt in a large mixing bowl; mix well. Set aside.
4. Combine molasses, oil, and applesauce in a small saucepan; cook, over low heat, stirring continuously, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until oil has melted.
5. Pour molasses mixture over oat mixture; mix until oats are evenly coated.
6. Place on prepared baking pan; spread evenly in a thin layer.
7. Bake for 50 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes, or until granola is light golden brown and crisp.
8. Cool granola completely (it will get more crisp as it cools).
9. Store in an airtight container.
Adapted from the Beachbody blog