Ok, let me first state loud and clear “I AM NOT A VEGAN” I have nothing at all against vegans. The thing I do have issues with is labels. If you have followed me for a while you know this to be true. If you are new to me then I hope that does not offend you. I do not like labels of any sort in any capacity. I just can not stand being boxed in because I am constantly changing. Sometimes for the better and sometimes, well we won’t talk about those sometimes 🙂 I
What I can say about this sauce is that it is freaking awesome. One thing I have noticed as I climb the ladder of life is that dairy sometimes gives me the bloats so I do try to limit it. I love love love cheese and let’s be honest cheese just freaking makes everything taste good.
A few months ago I started a quest to make a good dairy-free cheese sauce. Do not take the word quest lightly, it was a freaking frustrating journey at the start.
During this quest, I made a total of 6 batches utilizing different ingredients. 4 of them ended up in the big grey can outside. Man, it sucks when you have to throw away your creations but even a big fat hunk of gluten-free french bread could not make them taste good. So without further ado here is my recipe for Easy Creamy Vegan Cheese Sauce. I hope you like it.
PS: You do not need to be giving up dairy or a vegan to make and enjoy this. It is a fabulous and nutritious sauce I promise. Make sure you check out the recipe notes to see some flavor variations you can try.
The thing to remember when making this Easy Creamy Vegan Cheese Sauce is that there really are no exact rules. Your taste buds and what you have in your pantry are the most important thing. So do not get caught up on the details 🙂 Play around and make sure you leave me a comment if you try something that turns out super yummy.
This was our dinner. I used two different types of gluten-free pasta added some roasted corn, and spinach then topped it with some toasted pumpkin seeds and some of that yummy Violife Parmesan Vegan Cheese. One was a new pasta on the market, It is keto and low carb and freaking AMAZING. It is called Gnooda. The other is Jovial brown rice pasta. The combination is perfect as they both have a special way of gathering some of the cheese sauce in their hidden crevices. You have to be hungry now right?
Easy Creamy Vegan Cheese Sauce
- Stovetop pot
- 3/4 cup diced potatoes
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast I like to get the non fortified stuff (see recipe FAQ's)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice fresh is best but 100% juice from a bottle works too
- 1/4 cup chopped peeled carrots chop them the same size as the potatoes if you can
- 1/2 cup cashews no salt and soaked are best (see recipe FAQ's)
- 1/2 cup cannellini beans AKA white beans
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 dash salt start with one dash then add to your desired taste
- If you are making a single batch of this awesome sauce then you will want to get a medium pan and fill it with water. If you are smart and going to make a double batch grab a larger pot. Fill your pot with water and place it on the stove. Once the water has boiled throw in (carefully duh) your diced veggies. The cook time will vary according to the size you cut your veggies. I cooked mine for 15 minutes.
- Once you have reached the desired tenderness of your veggies then take the pot off the stove and drain the water. VERY IMPORTANT- save about 1/2 to 3/4 cups of the pasta water. You will use this to thin out your sauce later. You want to be able to poke a fork through the potatoes to endure they are cooked through. I like to then run some cold water over the veggies to stop them from cooking any more. If you do this step just let the cold water run on the veggies for about 2 minutes then drain.
- Now, this is where the fun really begins. Once your veggies are drained, place them in your blender. I love to use my twister jar from Blendtec. It is a perfect size and very easy to scrape out of the jar.
- Next add all your other goodies into your blender and add about 1/4 cup of your veggie water. If you did not save any do not fret you can use vegetable broth or plain water. Just add a little at a time. Nothing sucks more than thin cheese sauce right? You will want to stop the blender every 45 seconds or so to check on the consistency. It will thicken up in the refrigerator a little FYI.
- It is time to pour this dairy-free goodness on your favorite, veggie, pizza, chip, or whatever floats your boat. Make sure you check out the recipe notes for ideas and ingredient variations.
- You can double up on the beans or cashews instead of making a combo as I did. The taste will not change much at all.
- If you want to give it a little more cheesy flavor without adding cheese then check out the parmesan cheese from Violife. I love almost all of their products. No soy, No gluten, No dairy, and No nuts. You could blend some of this in our even use it as a topping depending on how you are using the cheese.
- If you are making any type of Mexican food then add in a dash of salsa. OMG good!
- Skip the paprika and try cayenne pepper and a dash of red flakes- HOT HOT HOT
- If you are making pizza add in some oregano, fresh or dried. Make sure to keep the sauce thicker pizza.
- Looking to make a cold pasta salad? Make sure you add the cheese sauce to our pasta while it is still warm so it can get in all the nooks and crannies of the pasta.
- I like to use whole garlic cloves but garlic powder works just fine. Most vegan sauces have onion powder and garlic powder. For me, they can be too much of a powerhouse together but do what makes your tastebuds happy.
- Not a potato fan, try subbing out those guys and adding in some sweet potato instead. You will end up with a very rich orange color which could be really pretty (or scary lol I guess it depends on how you look at it)