Cream of Broccoli Soup
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 5 cups vegetable broth (low-sodium)
- 5-6 cups broccoli, roughly chopped
- 1½ cup kale, de-stemmed & roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast – You can get this at most health food stores or on Amazon– it is a great replacement for cheese. It has a great nutty taste.
- 1 medium avocado, chopped
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the coconut oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally until the onions begin to soften and become translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the pepper flakes (optional) and combine well.
Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Add the broccoli and kale. Turn down to a simmer, cover and continue cooking until your vegetables turn a bright green, about 2-3 minutes. Set the soup aside to cool for a bit.
Add the nutritional yeast and avocado to the pot. In 2-3 batches, add the soup to your blender and blend until smooth. Return the soup to the stock pot and season with salt & pepper. Warm over a low heat, if necessary.
Garnish with fresh parsley
Original Recipe adopted from The Chopra Center