Coconut oil can be used for a lot of things. You can cook with it, bathe with it, add it to smoothies and make some outstanding baked goods with it. Mike and I cook our popcorn in it. Coconut oil not only tastes delicious but the added health benefits are astounding! I have shopped around for a long time to find a coconut oil I like. I finally found it here and I love it. I love this company as well. They have so many cool things. We are signing up for the monthly shipment next month, I am so excited.
Coconut oil is a wonderful thing to take into your shower. It is a great cleanser as well as a moisturizer. I bet you did not know that you can also keep it on your nightstand as a moisturizer? Did you know that coconut oil is great to massage into your scalp to prevent dryness and flaking? I have also experimented making homemade deodorant with coconut oil. I know it sounds freaky but honestly it works. It takes some getting use to but it is worth the try and it does work. (recipe below) There is a lot to be said for anything that is chemical free that we can use on our bodies. You all know I am very passionate about this topic. Here are some other ideas on ways you can use coconut oil on your body.
For skin and hair care use as:
- as a diaper cream (it will be absorbed, not coat the skin)
- leave on for ten minutes as a hair mask (not necessary to wash out)
- use to prevent and treat stretch marks from pregnancy
- excellent for wound healing and cracked, dry skin
Coconut oil is great in raw food recipes:
• You can use 1 tsp of coconut oil daily in your AM morning smoothie. By adding in the oil you will gain not only the nutrients of the coconut oil but it also provides a great texture to your drink. (See recipe below)
• You can use coconut oil in raw protein bars. It gives them a lovely texture, flavor and holds them together nicely.
• You can use coconut oil in treats, i.e. chocolate mouse, Shakeology bars, chia pudding. By adding coconut oil to your treats you create a very smooth like and creamy texture.
• You can add coconut oil in hot tea with a pinch of raw cacao for a special treat.(one of my new favorites)
• You can even use coconut oil with cashews and stevia to make a delicious frosting. (This was absolutely tasty)
Coconut Pesto is one of my favorite sauces to use on my zucchini noodle dish. (recipe below)
There are a lot of ways to use coconut oil in your everyday activities but there are even more reasons why you should start today.
Coconut oil has lauric acid, caprylic acid, & caprice acid in it. These acids give it antimicrobial, antifungal, antibacterial and antioxidant abilities. It is mostly saturated fat, 92% with a small percentage being mono unsaturated and poly unsaturated. Coconut oil is a healthy fat.
Oil pulling is a new thing you hear about a lot in the media. I have to admit I have not done it yet but I have some friends that have done it and loved it. If you have never heard of oil pulling, you’ll be impressed with the health benefits it can offer. The process of oil pulling is easy and can benefit people of all ages. Oil pulling can help detoxify the body on a daily basis, help improve energy, prevent and improve dental health problems, reduce skin conditions such as psoriasis, acne and eczema, improve digestion and offer all around whole body wellness.
To pull with coconut oil:
- Select an organic coconut oil. You will work up to 20 minutes daily, but most people find that oil pulling with coconut oil is easiest for an initial five to ten minutes per day.
- Use between a teaspoon and a tablespoon. Some people find less is easier to become accustomed to the texture while others find it better to use the larger amount- just experiment.
- Place your desired amount in your mouth, and begin swishing it around. Do this on an empty stomach before brushing teeth if possible.
- Pull the oil back and forth through your teeth, but do not swallow since the oil is filling up with toxins.
- Choose a time where you will not necessarily be hyperfocused on the time. During your morning routine while showering, doing the dishes or working on the computer are all good times to try pulling.
- Tip: set a timer and spit in the garbage to avoid your sink becoming sticky and messy.
Some of the benefits that are attributed to coconut oil include (but not limited to):
• Weight loss
• Heart disease
• Healing and infections
• Kidney stones
• Liver disease
• Bone loss
• Tooth decay
• Hormone regulation
“Coconut oil has fewer calories than any other fat source. Unlike the high-calorie, cholesterol-soaked, long-chain, saturated animal fats found in meat and dairy products, coconut cream and coconut oil are made of raw saturated fats containing mostly medium-chain fatty acids that the body can metabolize efficiently and convert to energy quickly.”(Wolfe, 2009)
Coconut oil also helps to regulate blood sugar. It is one fat that diabetics can eat without fear. Coconut oil is useful for bone and dental health because it improves calcium and magnesium absorption. This is good for dental health. It is especially beneficial to women who are at the age to develop osteoporosis.
When you go to order or purchase your coconut oil you should look for organic-raw-extra virgin-cold pressed. I also use a lot of coconut water, shredded coconut and coconut butter in my everyday activities. Starting adding coconut oil to your household, you will not be sorry!
Coconut Green Smoothie
2 cups kale, fresh
2 cups water
2 cups pineapple (preferably frozen)
1 banana (preferably frozen)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
– Serves 2 –
Blend kale, water and coconut oil until smooth. Next add the remaining fruits and blend again.
Homemade Coconut Deodorant
1/2 c. baking soda
1/2 c. arrowroot powder
5 tbs unrefined coconut oil
20 drops of grapefruit essential oil
1. Mix baking soda and arrowroot together in a mixing bowl or kitchen aide mixer
2. Next add the oils and mix well.
3. Pour into a small mason jar.
Apply with a popsicle stick
Coconut Oil Pesto
Awesome for Asian and Italian dishes
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1/2 cup pistachio nuts shelled
- 1-2 large handfuls washed, dried and destemmed basil
- 1/4 cup chopped kale
- 1/2 cup pecorino romano sheep milk cheese
- 1/2 lemon squeezed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop pistachios in food processor or with chef’s knife
- In a blender puree basil and kale with lemon juice, coconut oil and olive oil until smooth
- Add the pistachios and blend with this mixture until smooth
- Salt and pepper to taste
I hope this post helped get you excited about starting to use coconut oil. Check out the Green PolkaDot Box for their amazing coconut oil and other fun and creative products.