As Mike and I embark on this whole “No Grain” journey we are trying to think out of the box a little to keep our dinner plate satisfying. I have cooked with cauliflower before , but I must say I have never actually made cauliflower rice.
I think to actually call it rice is a bit of a stretch. I do not really care what you call it, it is very tasty and satisfying. The bonus was it was kind of fun to make. I wish I would have snapped a picture of more of the prep work because Mike was the man in the kitchen making this dish. He thought it was fun using our little food processor. I love it when Mike helps out in the kitchen. I am usually the cook and he is the dishwasher guy.
Here is the recipe we used to make cauliflower rice.
- 2 Heads of Organic Cauliflower
- 2 Tbs of Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Cup of Diced Onion
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 2 Diced Large Zucchinis
- 1 Cup of Frozen Spinach
*You can basically add anything you want into this recipe. You can add ground meat, any vegetable you have on hand, seafood, tomato sauce. Etc…….)
- Rinse cauliflower heads under cool water and pat dry.
- Using a cheese grater, grate the cauliflower to a coarse texture (approximately the size of rice grains). Using a food processor to pulse the cauliflower to desired texture works as well. This is the way Mike did it and I think the best way.
- Heat the coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté the onion and garlic for 3–4 minutes, or until the onion is relatively translucent.
- Add in the cauliflower rice and other ingredients you have picked out.
- Continue to sauté for 5-10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, and serve.