Fall is here and that means lots and lots of muffin making in our house. I am currently running a challenge where we are not allowed to have any gluten or added sugar in our foods. The no gluten is a piece of cake for me of course but the no added sugar is more of a challenge. If you have any cans, frozen foods, or pantry items then you probably have lots of items with added sugar. It has been very eye-opening for all of us, and we are all well on our way to making better choices. The best way to avoid foods with hidden gluten and sugar is of course make your own food.
Now I know everyone is busy and spending time in the kitchen can be a struggle but this is one muffin you can make in a jiff and there is no added sugar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This muffin really is amazing and will satisfy that morning carb craving or will serve as that special treat after dinner without any guilt.
The original recipe was from Beachbody’s Autumn Calabrese’s fixate cookbook. The cookbook was a complement to her award-winning, life-changing 21 day fix nutrition and workout program. As always I changed it up a bit but not a lot. Why mess with perfection?
PS: Autumn recommends substituting 1/2 cup of the gluten-free flour blend with 1/2 cup of flaxseed meal if you are looking for some extra omega-3 fatty acids.
Banana Apple No Sugar Added Muffin
- Muffin Tin
- Mixing stand or hand mixer
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed medium bananas
- 1 tbsp butter or ghee
- 1 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill 1to1 gluten-free flour blend Autumn used just almond flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice blend you could use cinnamon and nutmeg if you do not have any pumpkin spice
- 1/2 cup chopped apple I did not peel mine, lots of nutrition in the skin
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Prepare nine muffin cups by lining with muffin tin layers or coating with muffin spray.
- Combine eggs, banana, and butter in a medium bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients – gluten-free flour blend, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add dry mixture to egg mixture. Mix until well blended. Fold in apple.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Should be 8-9 cups depending on the size of the bananas. Bake 16 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.