Hi everyone, here is the recipe for this yummy treat. I got the recipe from gnom-gnom.com I normally like to take a recipe then edit it to meet my nutritional/dietary needs but Paola nails it every time. I rarely edit any of her recipes. If you love low carb booking then I would highly suggest you get one of her cookbooks and bookmark her site.
PS: When eating these the next day I find it better to heat them up a tad!
Grain Free Berry Shortcake
- 1/2 Lbs. Fresh Berries Sliced
- 1 TBS. Fresh Orange Juice
- 1-2 TBS. Sweetener of choice I used monk fruit
- Fresh Whipping Cream According to your taste
Grain Free Shortcake
- 1 Egg
- 1/3 Cup Sour Cream Coconut Cream if you do not want the dairy
- 1 TBS. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Cup Almond Flour Not almond meal
- 1/2 Cup Golden Flaxseed You can sub with psyllium husk if you want
- 3 TBS. Coconut Flour
- 1/3 Cup Whey Protein
- 3 TBS. Sweetener of choice I used monk fruit
- 3.5 TSP. Baking Powder NOT BAKING SODA
- 1 TSP. Xanthum Gum
- 2 TBS. Orange Zest Fresh is best
- 8 TBS. Ghee or Butter I used ghee
- Mix the berries with a bit of orange juice and sweetener (optional). Allow to macerate while you make the shortcakes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F/230°C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- Add egg, sour (or coconut) cream and apple cider vinegar to a medium bowl and whisk for a minute or two until fully mixed. Set aside. Add almond flour, flaxseed meal, coconut flour, whey protein, sweetener, baking powder, xanthan gum (or more flax), kosher salt and orange zest to a food processor and pulse until very thoroughly combined.
- Add in the butter and pulse a few times until pea-sized. Pour in the egg and cream mixture, pulsing until combined. The dough will be very shaggy. Pat the dough onto a round in the prepared baking tray, dusting with coconut flour as needed. Cut out six shortcakes, working the dough as little as possible. Brush with melted butter and bake for 15-20 minutes until deep golden. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Whip up heavy cream (or cold coconut cream) in a chilled bowl until soft peaks form.To assemble the shortcakes, halve the biscuits and add a dollop of whipped cream and a generous helping of strawberries.These guys keep well (unassembled!), stored in an airtight container at room temperature, for 3-4 days. You can freeze the shaped biscuit dough for 1-2 months, and bake straight from the freezer as needed.